Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I've Been Bad.

This has nothing to do with my lack of a menu plan posting this week.
It also has nothing to do with the fact that we went out to eat at least three times last week (all new restaurants).
It does, however, have everything to do with the fact that I found another excuse to make Alfredo sauce.

Hello, lover.

I can't be blamed in this. I did what anyone would have done. I had a store-bought pizza crust that was sitting neglected in my refrigerator, and I didn't feel like spending any significant time or effort on dinner. I had no pizza fixings. I did, however, have everything needed to make Alfredo.
I ask, what would you have done?
Here's what I did:

I baked the aforementioned pizza crust until the top was just firm. It was less than halfway done baking at that point.
While it pre-baked I made Alfredo. Butter, heavy cream, black pepper, nutmeg (if you're feeling saucy...HAH! Knee-slapping pun intended.). Grate up plenty of Parmesan and sprinkle it over the sauce in batches letting it thicken and get all melty.
*Important! You know how I use half and half for Fettucine Alfredo? Don't do that! You need the Alfredo to be on the thick side. If it's too saucy I imagine it will just soak into or run off the pizza crust. Very bad. Avoid this. Thicker is better.*
I slathered the less than half-baked pizza crust with Alfredo. I used half a stick of butter, and probably half a cup of heavy cream, and I probably used 2/3 of the sauce I made. All the better. More for dipping for those of us who lack self-restraint.
Next, I covered the sauce with whatever cheeses are in the Italian 5-Cheese Kraft bag. I think I used just over 3/4 of the bag.
I sprinkled the top of the cheese with fresh ground black pepper and put it in the oven to finish cooking.
Once it was done added a little more black pepper and nutmeg to the top.
As previously stated, I used the leftover Alfredo for dipping purposes.
As even earlier stated, I've been bad. And you can be too! Make this soon.