Friday, February 25, 2011

Fish.

You'll be hard pressed to find a fish dish that I like.
I liked this one.


Yep. Cell phone shots on the blog.
(Because I didn't feel like looking for my camera.)
I'll also ask you not to judge my paper plate. Less dishes for me!

Steamed Broccoli. Salmon with dijon-cream sauce. Mushroom "ruse-otto".

I think I've posted about my mushroom risotto on here before. Either way, simmer a little EVOO in a skillet. Add in some (risotto snobs, look away now) Minute rice and stir it around to coat. Add in a little chicken broth and/or white wine (I used both), let the first batch of liquid get absorbed before adding the second and so on and so forth. Do this until the rice is cooked, adding in some chopped mushrooms (or not) before hand. Shred in some cheese. I usually use Parmesan, tonight I used Romano. Also pour in some heavy cream or half and half (take a wild guess as to which of those I used). Stir it around until creamy. Add in salt, pepper, and fresh parsley.

I won't get into how to steam broccoli. Mainly because I steamed mine in a glass cereal bowl in the microwave. Carry on.

Salmon. I only know one way to cook fish. With the exception of one adventure into beer battered halibut long ago, I've only ever made salmon. So, take the skin off your salmon fillet unless you're into that kind of thing. Season each side with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Melt a little butter in a pan and let it heat up before throwing the salmon on. I cooked mine for 5-7 minutes...I think...before putting it in the oven. How hot was the oven? Couldn't tell you. It was on broil. I left the salmon in there for 7 minutes because at 5 minutes it didn't look quite done enough. I really couldn't tell you what salmon is supposed to look like when it's done, but it was flaky and delicious, and that's all I care about.
After the salmon was done I melted some butter (real butter...any butter I talk about is real, salted butter unless stated otherwise) in a bowl, whisked in a little dijon mustard, cream, and black pepper, and poured it over the fish.

Very good.
Which is high praise coming from someone who really doesn't like fish.