Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What I Ate at Home.

Omaha, Nebraska is not the culinary capital of the world.
However, it is in the United States, so to me it was nothing less than a cornucopia of deliciousness.

I got to enjoy both of my parents' cooking, as well as some Orsi's pizza, but mainly I went out to my favorites to eat. A lot.


Taco John's. My favorite. I would live there if they would let me. Does it have any nutritionally redeeming qualities? Probably not. But that didn't stop me from splitting a 'six pack and a pound' with whoever I could get to partake. Three soft tacos, potato oles, and a side of nacho cheese to round it all out. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.


Ahh. Panera. Who doesn't love Panera Bread? I have always loved this place, and I got hooked again when I was home. I think it was three times that I ended up here. Each time I ordered the same thing: half a Greek salad and a cup of chicken noodle. Phenomenal.


Arby's really doesn't need an explanation. Some may wonder why it is on here at all. Because I live in Japan, that's why. Beef & Cheddar with curly fries and a side of cheese, please.

Greek Islands, Omaha:
No trip home is complete without a stop at Greek Islands. For starters, they serve Orsi bread, and that's enough to love right there. I order the same thing every time, the souvlaki dinner with greek potatoes. I have never and will never finish an entire serving, but it is definitely worth the try.

Biaggi's:
My trip home marked my second outing to this West-O restaurant. The first was years and years ago when I believed that Italian food consisted of spaghetti and meatballs and nothing else. A little older, a little wiser, and probably a little hungrier, I went for the shrimp and crab cannelloni. There was shrimp. There was crab. There were multiple cheeses. There was lobster cream sauce. And it was wrapped in spinach pasta. Fantastic.

------------------------------------------------------

There were more foods, more restaurants, hell there were actually more cities, but these are the ones that stuck with me. That and the fact that they serve LaMesa nachos at Lancers games now. If you happen to run into whoever came up with that idea, give them a kiss on the mouth from me.